The Canadian Government provides an opportunity to Indian students to study in the country but as a prerequisite, you’ll have to obtain a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).


What is a Study Permit?

The study permit is a document we issue that allows foreign nationals to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in CANADA. Make sure you have all the documents you need before you apply. If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completing your course. Your study permit is always accompanied along with a visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). Please note that your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t let you enter Canada. You may also need a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). Once they approve your study permit, they will issue an eTA to you with your study permit.


Documents required for Study Permit

To apply for your study permit, you will need:

  • An acceptance letter from your education institution
  • A valid passport or travel document
  • Proof that you can support yourself or any family members who might accompany you, while you’re in CANADA


    You must also:

  • Prove that you have enough money to pay for your:

  • 1. Tuition fees

    2. Living expenses for yourself and any family members who come with you to CANADA, and

    3. Return transportation for yourself and any family members who come with you to CANADA

  • Be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security of CANADA (you may have to provide a police certificate)
  • Medical Examination (proving that you are in good health)
  • To prove you can financially support yourself and any accompanying family members, you may be asked to provide:

  • Documentation of a Canadian bank account in your name, if money has been transferred to CANADA
  • Documentation of a student/education loan from a financial institution
  • Bank statements
  • A bank draft in convertible currency
  • Proof of payment of tuition and accommodation fees
  • A letter for the person or institution providing your funding
  • Proof of funding paid from within CANADA if you have a scholarship or are enrolled in a Canadian-funded educational program


    Applying for your Visa

    You’ll have to apply for your student visa application online using the CIC official website. You can apply up to three months before your intended date of travel to CANADA. Remember, your application date is the date when your application fee is paid. As an applicant from outside Canada, you will have to pay CAD$150 as your visa fee (do check the latest fee when applying here).


    Where to Apply?


    IRCC Guide to the Visa Process:


    Student Direct Stream (SDS)

    Indian students applying to universities and colleges in CANADA can now expect faster visa processing through the Study Direct Stream (SDS) program launched by the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. Unlike the usual visa processing that may take up to 2-3 months, SDS allows students from India to avail their visa in 4-6 weeks. However, if you choose to apply through SDS, you may need certain additional documents. Depending on where you live, you may be able to get your study permit faster through the Student Direct Stream (SDS). CIC tries to process most SDS applications within 20 calendar days. However, some applications may take longer.

    SDS has more stringent rules and regulations to fulfill. However, it can be extremely beneficial for those who meet the criteria as it provides easy visa processing for SDS entitled DLI institutions and requires less financial documentation.

    To get faster processing, you must:

  • give your biometrics as soon as possible
  • meet all the eligibility requirement


    What are the eligibility criteria for SDS?

    To be able to apply for a study permit via SDS, you’ll have to full-fill certain conditions, such as:

  • Acceptance from a post-secondary designated learning institution (DLI)
  • Tuition fee paid for your first year of study
  • Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) of CAD10,200
  • Minimum score of 6 in IELTS with no band less than 6 or a TEF (Test d’évaluation de français – French language proficiency test) score that is equal to a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of at least 7 in each skill (reading, writing, speaking and listening)
  • If you meet the criteria, you’ll have to submit the following documents:

  • Letter of acceptance from a DLI
  • Proof of payment of tuition fee for your first year of study
  • Proof of Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) payment (certificate/letter of attestation)
  • IELTS TRF or TEF scorecard
  • Copy of your medical examination from an authorized panel of doctors
  • Relevant academic background with complete academic documents
  • Additional requirement of CAQ for students intending to study in Quebec



    Documents to upload on IRCC Portal:

    1. Class 10 Original Transcript

    2. Class 12 Original Transcript

    3. Passport (First and Last page)

    4. Offer Letter

    5. IELTS TRF Report

    6. E-Medical

    7. GIC (minimum CA$10,200)

    8. Statement of Purpose

    9. Resume (if applicable)

    10. Sponsor Documents Affidavit

    11. Bank Statement of 3-6 Months

    12. Bank Balance (Savings or FD)

    13. IT Returns of Past 3 Years


    Useful Links:


  • References :